Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pussy Willow and Supporting Cast
Day 32

© A.K.Simon - oil - 14" x 11" - Pussy Willow and Supporting Cast $175
 
This work was done from a setup arranged by Mary Spires who has been an art teacher for years. (Check her blog out at the right - I have a link to it.) You can read about her current teaching adventure in Florida. She is an Ohio "snowbird" so we should be seeing her again around May. And, I believe she knows probably everybody from here to Florida - those involved in art anyway.

Sometimes I approach a painting like a sculpture. I cover the surface with paint then start carving the shape from the darkness by wiping out paint, then adding back only in certain areas. I used that approach in this work mainly on the vase. In trying to get the texture to look really rough, I thought this approach worked the best. It is really funny sometimes when viewing your work with someone and they are mentioning their favorite part and all you can think about is that certain little place in your painting that your really love. In this one it is that one lone grape right in front of the pot - that red on the bottom just makes me want to eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...