Monday, February 27, 2012

Steady as She Grows - 5 x 7 oil on linen
Day 21



© A.K.SIMON - Steady as She Grows - 5 x 7 oil on linen



There is much tenacity in the stem of a tulip. Did you ever notice if you try to separate them from their bulbs too early in the spring they refuse to budge - they will separate when they are good and ready. These tulips were given to me by my husband for valentines day. My intention in this study was to paint it with as few strokes as possible and with as big a brush as possible in as little time as possible. So, this piece, though it is only 5x7 was done with a 1.5 inch brush for the entire piece. Believe me I turned that thing every which way possible. The other goal was to work on my midtones. The tulip leaf is not a cadmium kind of leaf so I premixed a gray green before I started. This plant was sitting on the island in my kitchen so that is where I set up shop. The light was coming from a window at the right. I achieved my goals in this painting so I consider it one of my most successful paintings ever. Hubby says no (but what does he know, right?). In fact, he says, "please don't ask me, I don't know what to say." (don't laugh, I know you've been there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...