Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust - 5" x 7"
Day 16



© A.K.SIMON - Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust - 5"x7" oil on linen


Today is Ash Wednesday so I am in a somber reflective mood (or is it a food coma from pigging out on pork and sauerkraut on shrove Tuesday). This is the time of year I charge ahead with making commitments to do things in a more disciplined fashion (like painting everyday). Sometimes I actually do succeed. This year I will restrain from eating sugar through lent and would very much like to maintain this discipline for the rest of my life. Those who know me well know this will be no easy feat. I am a full-blown, non-recovering "sugarholic"! Going cold turkey "ain't gonna be easy."

Anyway, back to the painting - this Bible was a gift to my mother from Republic Steel upon the passing of my father nearly 48 years ago. Many of his coworkers came to our home and presented this Bible along with cash they had collected amongst themselves for our family. The sad fact is that he was only 40 and my mother was left to raise six children between the ages of 5 and 16 (I was 8). I don't really remember how this Bible ended up in my possession, but it did, and today I guess I know why.

It came in this lovely wooden case and the bible has a beautiful cross zipper pull. How fitting a subject  to ponder ones mortality. I recall my sister consoling me on that dreadful day of my father's passing by saying, "just realize that nothing in your life will be more difficult than this day." I have to say, I shed a few tears while painting this one - to ashes we shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...