Monday, April 2, 2012

Organic Orchid
Day 41

©A.K.SIMON - Organic Orchid - 5"x7" oil on double-side primed masonite





Could a flower be any more elegant than this? I have nothing but respect for this flower. They grow at the end of those long stems then bow their heads in reverence to their creator. At least that is how I see it. Since they appear elegant and mysterious I kept the background ambiguous. My goal on this piece was to make the flower flow through the space in the same arc as it was growing. There was a cloth behind it that had a light edge so I was able to lose the flower on that side to make it a little more interesting (I hope). I will revisit this subject (probably many times).

As an aside, I read a little about orchids. There are between 10,000 and 35,000 species according to whichever site you search, so it is really hard to pin down the varieties.  I had always assumed they were parasites because they always grow along something. But, that is just what they are doing, growing along with something and taking none of the nutrients from the host plant. They just peacefully co-exist in nature wherever their seeds may land. As common as they are, it seems they have just become readily available through our department stores in the last several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...