Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dressed for the Party
#47

© A.K. SIMON - Dressed for the Party - Oil on Masonite - $100 

sold

Isn't this wine sleeve awesome? A few months ago a store named "Corner Smith's" opened across the street from the studio. Carmelita and Kendra Smith are self proclaimed "pickers" and they find the most amazing things through travel and word-of-mouth. Their store is filled with eclectic items and they change constantly, so you MUST visit often! They also sell the artwork of each of the artists in our  studio for which we are extremely grateful. We've kind of got this thing going on now in Canal Winchester where we are cross-promoting each other's businesses. Of course we have always done this but now we are being a little more aggressive. So, in trying to figure out how to make my art connect with my city I am collecting things from each business and incorporating the objects into paintings. I think it's about time to hit the cupcake store again - banana split flavor is calling! I also can't wait till the new crepe cafe opens. Painting powdered sugar sounds like a real challenge. And, in producing these paintings with the things I purchase our local businesses are patronized - win/win!

I'm really pleased with how this painting turned out and even debated whether I would sell it but then the reality of studio rent snapped me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...