Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Old Lace - No Arsenic
#60



© A.K.SIMON - Old Lace - No Arsenic - 5" x 7" masonite panel - $55


click to bid in auction


I just kept thinking of those two little old ladies in "Arsenic and Old Lace" when I was painting this because of the antique pitcher, lace and the traditional setup - that is why this title stuck.


This is a still life set up by Donna Noice with flowers supplied by Laurie Hatler from her daughter's garden. Connie Layne supplied the pitcher which I believe had been her grandmother's. And, to top it off, the masonite panel was given to the class by one of the others students whose husband's business had no use for these small pieces. So, sometimes it takes a village (and 30 years or so of practice) to make a still life painting. : )


I started this one on a pre-primed green panel. I did little editing of the elements on the table so it did take some "squeezing" to complete the piece. It certainly gives a "big feel" to such a small canvas. Overall I think it looks pretty cohesive. I really played down the lace from the setup or it would have demanded all the attention. Done for today - on to tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...