Sunday, February 12, 2017

Reclining Rose

©A.K.SIMON • Reclining Rose • 6" x 6" oil on linen 




The rose is a rose from the time it is a seed to the time it dies. Within it, at all times, it contains its whole potential. It seems to be constantly in the process of change: Yet at each state, at each moment, it is perfectly all right as it is.                                                                Paulo Coelho


A few years ago I was taking a workshop and there were individuals in it that were clearly more adept at painting than others. I ate lunch with a young lady who appeared to be so accepting of where she was in her career even though it seemed to me that she was at the beginning. I expressed my feelings of intimidation at the excellence of others in the class and how I had almost not signed up knowing this in advance. What she said next has always stuck with me; "I just look at it this way. I can't be anymore than I am right now. At this stage in my life my experiences have brought me to this point and no farther. I have a destination but can't get there without skipping any steps or wishing my life away to get there any faster." 

I look at so much fabulous art and feel, wow, I should be farther along than I am at my age. But then, what's the point in thinking this way. A few years ago I made this my motto but slip away from it every once in a while. "Love yourself because you can't be somebody else!"

Anyway, the quote of the day reminded me of that conversation years ago. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...