Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Absence of Color - Really?



©A.K.SIMON - Absense of Color - Really? - 8"x8" oil on linen - $100


Today's Quote: “Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.” 
― Coco ChanelChanel

It's been almost two months since I posted anything to this blog. Here is why. Just a week after my last post a good friend and artist lost her battle with cancer and I lost all momentum and desire for my daily routine. Connie was one of the "upstairs painters" who meets every Tuesday morning. Connie and I have painted together and lunched once a week for the last seven years and just three weeks before she passed we painted together for the last time. Some of her last words to us were, "most people wonder how they will die and at least now I know and I am not afraid."

A few weeks ago I painted this picture and started thinking about white and the absence of color and came across this quote by Coco Chanel who says that the beauty of white is absolute. We are always told that white is the absence of color but look at how this white pitcher holds its own against those bright red cherries (of course I manipulated it but these are the colors I saw). I like to think of white as more a purity of light than an absence of color.

To bring this full circle: Connie has passed from my day-to-day life but has moved to a more profound existence which aligns with the purity of light and life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...