Thursday, January 2, 2014

Promise of a Rose


© A.K.SIMON - 6"x 6" - oil on linen - $95

SOLD



Day 2 in 30 day challengehttp://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/2014/01/thirty-paintings-in-30-days-day-two.html

Being a graphic designer kind of makes me a project-oriented artist. I know it's a hard habit to break - needing a reason to paint! So, I came up with a theme for these 30 days which is much easier than last January's theme. My paintings will be associations with objects or quotes directed at objects. Yesterday's was about the quote, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Several months ago I read the book, The Language of Flowers and was so intrigued at how we as humans try to personify everything. Anyway, I chose the yellow rose because one of the meanings was, "the promise of new beginnings." What better message for the beginning of a new year. The vase is an awesome find from a resale shop in the Short North Arts District in Columbus, OH. It was such a great find!

As an aside, I had read this quote about a rose from Eleanor Roosevelt several years ago and marveled once again at the intellect and sense of human of this remarkable woman: "I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall." 

Gotta love her right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...