Sunday, January 5, 2014

From Dark to Light or Light to Dark

©A.K.SIMON - From Dark to Light or Light to Dark - 8"x8" oil on linen NFS

Day 5 of 30 in 30 days - http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

This one is Based on a Quote by Plato: A sensible man will remember that the eyes may be confused in two ways - by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize that the same thing happens to the soul.  ~Plato


Spent the morning with hubby, then dog walking, then laundry - every excuse not to paint, right? Well I was getting that nagging feeling of failure so I painted this one (started about 3:00 PM). I had worked out many compositions yesterday while Jerry (husband) attended to an art opening in the Arts District. He is a real people person and was a huge success (well handing out the hot chocolate with whipped cream may have had something to do with it). This one is an "S" composition and sort of reminded me of the animals being led two by two onto the ark. Oh well,  I like it and am not going to sell it quite yet. I need a donation for the Columbus Museum of Art Women's Board fundraiser and this might just be it! 

This one was painted from a photo I took from a set up Donna had in our "Upstairs Painter's" class on Tuesday mornings. I painted this painting another time and it was full frontal perspective. I have to say I like this above perspective better. The plant is a bedraggled poinsettia and the lid is off of the vessel in the background. As far as technique, this one is about 50% spatula and 50% brush.

Now I need to go figure out tomorrows colors. I guess we are going to be snowed in so it will be a great day to paint! But then again, every day is a great day to paint!

PS Photo could be better because this is really wet and was taken at night in my studio.

4 comments:

  1. A gorgeous set up and painting! Love the flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dottie, sometimes just taking a small portion of the set up makes a more dramatic composition.

      Delete
  2. Your comments rightfully focused on the light. But my eye was drawn to color today. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...