Monday, September 1, 2014

Alabama Yellowhammer Northern Flicker

©A.K.SIMON - 8"x8" oil on linen - $100

SOLD 

Quote for the Day:  “The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” 

                                                                                                     ― J.M. BarrieThe Little White Bird

The Leslie Saeta September Challenge begins today and since I've been AWOL all summer I decided I need to get busy. I have been painting but not posting very much because I've been finishing some home projects that just couldn't wait anymore. Here's the link to see everyone's work: http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

So here goes! I love birds and my first painting every was a goldfinch so I've decided to paint all of the state birds. When I initially began I thought, "well some will just have to be finished after the challenge." Not so, there are only 29 birds to paint so I come up one short. I'll figure something out by the end I'm sure. I'm just going to do this in alphabetic order by state and post a little info about the bird. I've already researched all the birds and I do have a favorite (sorry to say it's not Ohio where I live - we share ours with 6 other states). I'll let you know when I get there.

Heads up though, I will be on vacation during this time so things may get doubled up or missed - oh well - it will be a plein air trip so maybe i'll post some of that work.

Info about the Yellowhammer Northern Flicker  Info from http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Alabama/bird_yellowhammer.html:

The "yellowhammer" was designated the official bird symbol of Alabama in 1927 (Alabama is the the only state that chose a woodpecker as state bird). The yellowhammer (correct name northern flicker) has been a symbol of Alabama since the Civil War (Alabama is often called The Yellowhammer State). Northern flickers (Colaptes auratus) range throughout the USA (red- shafted in the west and yellow-shafted flickers in the east, with interbreeding between these two color variations in between).
The northern flicker is a common species present year- round in Alabama, but bird surveys show that flickers are declining in numbers (particularly the eastern yellow-shafted flicker). Possible reasons: use of pesticides on lawns and other feeding areas, and diminishing eastern forests.

3 comments:

  1. Hi A.K. --Love your 30 in 30 theme--I almost picked this too! Great flicker painting to start the challenge. Happy 30 in 30! Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I chose to paint birds for my 30-in-30 as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, your Oriole is beautiful. That will be coming up for me later in the challenge.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...